Forward Analytics Data to Datadog
How to forward Analytics data to Datadog
Follow the steps in this guide to set up an NGINX Controller Integration that forwards data to Datadog.
This guide assumes that you are already an active Datadog user. If you haven’t already done so, you will need to install and configure Datadog before you proceed.
You will also need to Create an Integration for your Datadog forwarder.
Take the following steps to create a Forwarder for Datadog:
- Open the NGINX Controller user interface and log in.
- Select the NGINX Controller menu icon, then select Platform.
- On the Platform menu, select Data Forwarders.
- On the Data Forwarders menu, select the Create Data Forwarder quick action.
- Add a name.
- (Optional) Add a display name.
- (Optional) Add a description.
- Select your Integration Reference from the dropdown menu or select Create New to create a new Integration.
- In the Collector Type list, select
- In the Source list, select the type of data to forward:
- In the Output Format list, select
- The Selector field consists of the following query parameters (optional):
EVENTS): The list of metrics names that you want to forward.
EVENTS): The list of metric names that you don’t want to forward.
filter: The conditions to use to refine the metrics or events data.
- Example usage when selecting metrics:
- Example usage when selecting events:
"filter=type='security violation' AND app='my-app'"
- (Optional) Add additional Streams as required using the Add Stream button.
Each metric will be prefixed with a common namespace – such as “nginx-controller” – before it is sent to Datadog. This prefix is used by Datadog only and is not applied to any of the internal NGINX Controller metrics. Refer to the metrics catalog for the full list of valid metric names.
For events, the “nginx-controller” namespace is added to the “ddsource” key.
NGINX Controller events are sent to Datadog as logs and NGINX Controller dimensions are sent as tags. The Forwarder converts the dimension data to comply with the Datadog tags format prior to forwarding it. In some cases, the original dimension value may be transformed to fit the tag requirements. This includes replacing comma characters (
,) with semicolons (
;) to ensure that Datadog will properly handle the incoming payload.
See the NGINX Controller Metrics docs for more information.
Soon after you create the Datadog forwarder, you can view the selected metrics in Datadog.
- Log into the Datadog web interface.
- On the navigation menu, select Metrics > Summary.
- Refer to Troubleshooting Forwaders for tips on resolving common issues.
This documentation applies to the following versions of NGINX Controller: 3.8, 3.9, 3.10, 3.12, 3.13, 3.14, 3.15, 3.16.1, 3.17 and 3.18.
This documentation applies to the following versions of NGINX Controller API Management module: 3.18, 3.18.1, 3.19, 3.19.1 and 3.19.2.
This documentation applies to the following versions of NGINX Controller App Delivery module: 3.20, 3.20.1, 3.21, 3.22 and 3.22.1.