Create Custom Dashboards
You can use the NGINX Controller user interface to create your own Dashboards populated with customizable graphs of NGINX and system-level metrics.
- You can add up to 30 Elements to Dashboard.
- Dashboards are accessible by all Users.
- Install the NGINX Controller Agent on instances that you want to monitor
- Configure Metrics collection on your NGINX instances
In NGINX Controller, you can create dashboards to display custom graphs. Some use cases for custom graphs include the following:
- Checking NGINX performance for a particular application or microservice, for example, based on the URI path
- Displaying metrics per virtual server
- Visualizing the performance of a group of NGINX servers, for example, front-end load-balancers or an NGINX edge caching layer
- Analyzing a detailed breakdown of HTTP status codes per application
When building a custom graph, metrics can be summed or averaged across NGINX servers. By using metric filters, it is possible to create additional “metric dimensions”, for example, reporting the number of POST requests for a specific URI.
The functionality of user-defined dashboards recently changed in NGINX Controller. Some of the functionalities that were present in the previous version might not be currently present or work differently. Your old dashboards were not migrated to the new version.
To create a custom dashboard:
- Open the NGINX Controller user interface and log in.
- The first page you will see is the Analytics Overview page.
- Select the Dashboards tab to see the My Dashboards list page.
- To create a new dashboard - use Create button and provide required information.
To add an Element to a Dashboard:
Create a new Dashboard or select the edit icon to edit an existing Dashboard.
Select Add element button.
Provide a title.
(Optional) Enter a description of the Element.
Select the type of Element to add:
- Line chart displays data for a specific time period
- Stat displays the metric’s most recent value
Select a metric from the drop-down menu.
Select the aggregation method for the selected metric.See Also:
For more information about metrics and supported aggregation methods, see the Metrics Catalog Reference.
(Optional) Add a filter to refine the data. For example, you can limit the data to a specific App or Environment.
(Optional) Select Add metrics to add more metrics.Note:
Additional metrics can only be added to a Line chart Element.
(Optional) Select the Override Default Time Settings option to select a time range for the Element.
- The default time range is the last seven days.
- You can select a new pre-defined time range or select Custom time range to define a new time range.
Select Create or Edit to save your Element settings.
You can use the filtering functionality for NGINX metrics. If you select Add filter, you can add multiple criteria to define specific “metric dimensions”.
The filter consists of one or more expressions in a form of:
dimensionName operator value
dimensionNameis a name of the dimension from the dimensions catalog
operatoris a comparison rule (equality, likeliness, etc.)
valueis a value to which we want compare the dimensions value
Filters can be used in conjunction using
OR logical operators. There is no possibility of nesting these expressions.
Filters are used to narrow down the data set presented on the chart/stat. For example, you may not want to display the data for all of your applications, but only for the particular one.
- You are not able to add more than 30 elements to the single dashboard.
- All dashboards are accessible for all users.
- Dashboards defined in the old custom dashboards view are not migrated to the new dashboards view.
- Overview Dashboard
- Overview of Metrics and Metadata
- Set up Metrics Collection
- Metrics Catalog Reference
- Dimensions Catalog Reference
This documentation applies to the following versions of NGINX Controller Documentation: 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, 3.10, 3.11, 3.12, 3.13, 3.14, 3.15 and 3.16.