NGINX Controller and Controller Agent Technical Specifications
This guide lists the technical recommendations for the NGINX Controller and Controller Agent. Review this guide before installing or updating the Controller or Agent.
The NGINX Controller supports the following distributions and architectures:
- Bare metal
- Public cloud: Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure
- Virtual Machine
|RAM||8 GB RAM|
|CPU||8-Core CPU @ 2.40 GHz or similar|
|Disk space||80 GB free disk space|
- DB: port 5432 TCP (incoming to DB from NGINX Controller host)
- NGINX Controller: 80 TCP (incoming from NGINX Plus instances)
- NGINX Controller: 443 TCP (incoming from where you are accessing from a browser, for example, an internal network)
- NGINX Controller: 8443 TCP (incoming from NGINX Plus instances)
- NGINX Controller Swagger: 5003 TCP (Note: This setting is supported only on NGINX Controller 2.6 and earlier)
Important: If you’re installing NGINX Controller 2.8 or later, these additional firewall settings are required:
If you have a firewall running on the NGINX Controller host, enable NAT (masquerade) and open the following ports:
- NGINX Controller: 6443 TCP (incoming requests to the Kubernetes master node; used for the Kubernetes API server)
- NGINX Controller: 10250 TCP (incoming requests to the Kubernetes worker node; used for the Kubelet API)
For more information about these ports, see the Kubernetes guide Install kubeadm > Check required ports.
- The NGINX Controller, using the NGINX Controller Agent, can monitor and manage up to 100 NGINX Plus instances.
- The NGINX Controller Agent works with Python 2.6 and 2.7. Python 3 is not supported.
The NGINX Controller Agent supports the following distributions and architectures:
|Amazon Linux 2||x86_64|
|Amazon Linux 2017.09||x86_64|
|Debian 8||i386, amd64|
|Debian 9||i386, amd64|
|RHEL/CentOS 6||i386, amd64|
|Ubuntu 16.04||i386, amd64|
The list of open source packages and their licenses used by the NGINX Controller can be found in the downloaded file that is part of the Controller package. See